August 17, 2018

Applique Tools - What Works for Me


I have been appliqueing for seven years and I still consider myself a beginner.  Being intrigued by all things appliqued I found I was reading or viewing everything I could lay my hands/eyes on.  

I’m sure you have heard it said, there really is no “wrong way” to do applique, it’s really what provides enjoyment during the process.  With that in mind, in the next few posts, I want to show you "My Way of Applique" and what I've found works for me.  You will see I use a bit of this and that and tweaked other teacher's techniques.  I hope you will find what works for you.

Tools

 Starting from the upper right of the picture:

  •  4" Karen Kay Buckley scissors.  I use these little guys on all my pieces.  The serrated edge allows cutting close the the turning edge without snipping any deeper
  • 7 1/2" Karen Kay Buckley scissors. All of my pieces are cut out using these.  They also have a serrated edge which holds onto the fabric allowing smooth cutting
  • An inexpensive stencil brush.  You can use any craft paint brush.  I like the short bristles for applying the starch
  • Tailor's Awl made by Clover (under $5) I use this to keep my fingers away from the iron.  Also, the sharp point helps in controlling the fabric before applying the iron
You can use any scissors.  The sharper the better for cutting and snipping.  In place of the Tailors Awl try something like an orange stick (used for fingernail cuticles) or wood stiletto. Remember the tool can become hot and is used working close to the iron.


Many people use spray starch. I like using a mixture of 1/2 liquid starch to 1/2 water.  Both work well, it's really preference. 

This is made by Clover, Wedge Iron, you can find it on Amazon for under $35. After spending way too much money on different irons, I found this little baby has lasted the longest. The point works beautifully to lift and press the fabrics edge over the template.  (You'll see how that's all done later)

What is it?  My ironing board and it's easy to make.

See, it's small enough to store in a drawer or plastic bin.
To make:

  • Small 12"x 9" wood/bamboo cutting board ( purchased at Walmart)
  • Cover the top with a piece of Therma-flec (used for making pot holders or ironing board covers)
  • Over the top of that place Ducks Back- canvas 
Staple it all down and you have a portable ironing surface.  FYI, I recycle my old four sack dish cloths, tear them in half and lay it over the canvas.  I don't want to have to replace the stapled canvas too often.  It will get ugly with scorched starch.

One more item.  You'll need a light box.  Yes, they can be high priced for occasional use but don't let this last item keep you from trying applique.  You can make one for a fraction.

This is a plastic box purchased at Walmart.  Next to it is a little LED light.  A flash light or anything that uses batteries and will fit under the box will work. 

Tape your pattern down and you're ready to trace onto freezer paper to make templates.

On my next post you'll see how to trace patterns, make freezer paper templates and finish with "Burn & Turn" to make those lovely applique pieces.

As Always...
I'm Sew Happy to Share.
Hugs,  Penny


No comments:

Post a Comment