June 3, 2013

Design Wall Monday 6/3/13

My Tale of a UFO lesson.
 
I have discovered it is not a good thing to tuck unfinished things away with high hopes of returning to finish it someday 'soon'.  I don't think 2 1/2 years falls into the 'soon' category do you?
 
Well 2 1/2 years ago, as a newbie, I took a class from a local instructor at our quilt guild, on sewing a pineapple quilt block.  I remember showing up with the correct values of fabric and adequate yardage to cover “oopsies” (which happen far too often). I was excited and made blocks until I ran out of fabric.  Sadly I didn't have enough blocks to make much of anything.  And the fabric I was using were remnant bundles and EOBs so my pineapple block experience went into a zip bag and put in the drawer.
 
 
 
Hooray for the Internet! When I discovered I could search online for 'older' fabric based on the information stamped on the selvage I was thrilled.  Eventually (1 year later) I ordered and received what I needed to get started again.  With that in mind I put the fabric in the cupboard and was "going to get started tomorrow"....ya, sure, right!
 
 
Here I am today, 2 1/2 years later.  I've got my fabric. I've got my desire.... and by golly I'm going to finish this pineapple quilt!  Except for one little thing, REALITY CHECK... I’m 2 1/2 years older. I"ve totally forgotten what I learned and how to do it.
 
 
Thank goodness for books! This Old Dog can still be taught this wonderful process. (That is when I clean the cobwebs out of the brain and get focused).  Now I'm going to keep on keep'in on until I can show you my finished pineapple quilt.
 
Thank you for  stopping in and taking a look....I'm always Sew Happy to Share with you. 
Please feel free to drop me a line or comment.  I love hearing from you.  Also, stop over at Patchwork Times and see what everyone else is working on.
 
Hugs,
 

8 comments:

  1. Love the pineapple block. Love your colors...reminds me of chocolate covered cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved the look of the pineapple block but have not been a huge fan of foundation/paper piecing. Your colors are lovely. Oh, and I'm very familiar with those projects that get tucked away to be worked on "soon", lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, there are pineapple block patterns to be found that are NOT foundation/paper piecing. I just made one recently (it's being quilted right now). Mine from the book Geometric Gems. The design is called Pineapple Nine Patch by Cathy Wierzbick.

      Delete
    2. I'm using a book by Loretta Smith called "A Piece of Cake". Being a beginner the book must be well written if I can understand it.

      Delete
  3. So happy you were able to search and find the old fabrics. UFOs are sometimes great to come upon again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You picked a difficult project to start with...more than excellent that you found fabric that will allow you the finish you'd hoped for. I'm working on 2011 UFOs...even though I kept up with all I listed for 2012 and so far 2013. I still have three 2011 UFOs to go... Don't think your alone!!! =^.^= Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chuckled at your story. You could call this "Pineapple Rescue"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty fabric choices, it's great that you found more. Enjoy finishing up your UFO.

    ReplyDelete