March 26, 2012

Design Wall Monday

My design wall contains a continuation of what I've been working on, it seems, forever.  However, this past week I've made great strides with appliquéing Miss Hannah.  Yeah, I’m down to three leaves then onto the final flowers. 

 How could we do it  without the ‘tools of the trade’??? I don’t know what I would do! Probably go blind with very sore fingers.  My newest purchase was the desktop needle threader by Clover. OMG it has saved me time and eye strain.  Working with silk thread is wonderful but it has a tendency to fall out of the needle’s eye.  The little gadget pops it right back through the eye and on I go.
Other handy tools are the sticky thimbles.  The metal cap saves my ‘under finger’ and the leather tab saves my sewing finger. Oh, and a little tip that I use.... you know those tiny hair ties, well I put them around my thread to keep the silk from unwinding in my basket.

Please go over to Judy's Patchwork Times and check out what everyone else is up to.
Great times sewing to you all.
Hugs and Smooches,

6 comments:

  1. Hi Penny - do you find you can reuse the sticky thimbles a lot? I can't seem to break the habit of using the side of my middle finger to push the needle and I have yet to find a thimble that fits right. You don't want to hear what my finger looks like when the callus has worn off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Hannah is coming along nicely, I love the fabrics that you have used, it will be beautiful when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Miss Hannah block is beautiful! Love your appliqué. Glad you found the right tools for you; it makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Hannah is gorgeous! I need to get some of those little hair ties. I don't like it when thread unravels even the littlest bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your applique is gorgeous, I just don't have the patience for it even though I admire it so. I just noticed your anniversary post - a belated happy anniversary. I too was married in Feb and we celebrated 44 years this year, how we got it right when we were only 18 when we met is a true blessing - growing old with someone you truly love is a great joy and gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely block. Applique blocks are always so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete