October 29, 2013

Practice Makes Perfect and Tote Bags Too!


Back in September I took a class from Cindy Needham. Wow, to actually be in the same room with her was amazing. Cindy has a name for people like me.  We are her “Stalker Ladies”, and she labels us with great appreciation, for she is a sweet and humble lady.
 

I posted the appliqué quilt, which took two years to finish, and mentioned I was determined to quilt it myself.  The big reality check is this isn’t going to happen overnight or anytime soon.  After taking Cindy’s class I realize I need ALOT of practice!

In order to practice free motion quilting this requires an abundance of quilt sandwiches.  Which has created a dilemma for this ‘frugal closet quilter’. What to do with those quilt sandwiches? 

Here is what I’ve come up with.  I'm making tote bags and practicing my quilting at the same time.






This is so much fun! But you can tell I need a BUNCH of practice. 

I think my next quilt sandwiches will become placemats as suggested to me by Patricia at Happy Days Quilting

Leave me your comments with any suggestions that will help me recycle those practice pieces.

Check out what others are up to at Patchwork Times it's always great.
Always Sew Happy 2 Share.
Hugs...

2 comments:

  1. What a treat to meet Cindy Needham :) I bought her craftsy class and love to watch it, maybe you could use your quilt sandwiches as table mats when you have enough bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have the same problem, but then I saw Free Motion Quilting Project posted directions for how to bind those squares together into a quilt! I made one baby quilt made of 4 separate squares so I could practice a larger stitch and it turned out wonderful when I bound them together. You can also find a video tutorial for that process at PILEOFABRIC here:
    http://pileofabric.com/2013/11/21/lesson-11-joining-the-blocks-skill-builder-bom/

    ReplyDelete