August 23, 2018

Applique Templates-continued

Following the same template technique, I wanted to show how easy it is to do those dips and curves.
 
Be sure and take your sharp scissors and make those snips around the curves, like shown on the making the leaves. Being careful not to snip too deep into the dips.

See the little tabs as I start to press the edge over onto the template?  I use the point of the iron to lift the fabric over as long as the area is free from dips and curves. As we get into the dips and curves I  bring in the awl. Just like we did on the point of the leaf, I will do the same on the pointed curve of this template piece.


Here it is after the pointed curve.  Now for the dips and curves. 

I use the sharp point of the awl to help me gather the fabric around the curve, making sure no folds are made.  Using my finger I hold the fabric in place, adding more starch if drying. 

Then, with my awl holding the gathers I press the gathered fabric in place.

 Finished.  Nice and smooth.

Hope this helps you.
As always...
I'm Sew Happy to Share.
Hugs,   Penny




2 comments:

  1. Another great post Penny. I saw recently a finger ring thing that had an elongated piece like a long fingernail. I wonder if that would be good for turning over and holding the edges? Not a good description is it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, that is so funny because I ordered one. And I don't particularly like it. I use my finger tips on my left hand while using the awl in my right. It's just habit I think. Also, the finger thing didn't fit tight enough and was awkward. Wasted the money on that one. If you want to try it I'll send it to you? Just forward your address. Take care.

      Delete