February 28, 2011

Design Wall Monday

Over the past several weeks I have been on a wonderful journey, which I’m hoping to continue the rest of my life. 

It all started with  a ‘Beginning Quilting’ class which covered the basics of measuring, cutting and piecing. Working on various blocks, sashing, and finish up on the border..

Here it is my FIRST (and so far only) quilt top!

The next class was ‘Machine Quilting’.  Covering the basic steps of preparing the quilt layers, pinning and we even had a chance to try some machine quilting techniques. 

Here goes... my FIRST attempt to machine quilting.

Side Note:  My sweet husband bought me a new Bernina Artista 635, as an anniversary present (41 years today).  I've sewn 48 years on a Singer featherweight so I'm becoming familiar with all of the wonderful things my Bernina can do.  I have never used a walking foot, so lining up my needle to do stitch in the ditch has been a bit of a challenge.  Believe me, it's not the machine, more like operator inexperience.


Because I wanted to experience the entire quilt making process I finalized it all with taking a 'Better Binding' class last week.  And so this journal will continue when I can show the completed wall quilt.

Have a wonderful week and don’t forget to quilt ‘n bog ....Don't you all  love to know what everyone is doing?  I know I thrive on your creativity and your sharing.
Take care

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 41 years of marriage! You deserved something wonderful like a Bernina! LOL. You rea taking the quilting journey exactly the way you should--classes. I've been quilting 16 years and teach quilting myself and I always learn something and always will.

    Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your new machine! I have a new one but still seen to go back to my 1591 Singer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the anniversary and to have a Bernina, wow what a great gift. Your Quilt is fantastic and you have been bitten by the bug I can tell!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your anniversary! And welcome to the wonderful wacky totally satisfying world of quilting! I'm in the Phx area, but even in the HOT part of the state, we love to quilt too! Love your quilt..wish you could see my 1st attempt from yrs ago. NO WAY I would share it online! WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! I am so impressed with your first quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! DH and I just had our 26th last week. He bought me my machine for my 40th bday :) Sweet guys are the best!

    You are doing amazingly well on your first project. I see that you have chosen quality fabrics and are already a fine seamstress. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! I still use my Mom's featherweight but I love my Bernina as well. Quilting in the ditch is hard. I rarely do it because it is hard and I'd rather have the quilting where it can be seen. But it is great to outline or call attention to an area of the quilt. Keep having fun and keep learning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your first quilt! It is looking wonderful so far, and I have no doubt you'll be piling up the finished quilts in no time. Bless your hubby for supporting your foray into quilting! :o)

    ReplyDelete